This Strawberry Cake is based on a Lisa Faulkner recipe. It has a high fruit and (ground) almond content, so it’s safe to say that if you like Bakewell tarts, you’ll love this deliciously moist cake. Ideally, it should be serve warm but it’s delicious cold too, especially with a small amount of cream (naughty but nice).
As always, I like to have some help in the kitchen from my daughters and this is another one of their favourites.
175g unsalted butter,
150g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour, sifted
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
100g ground almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g strawberries, hulled and quartered
icing sugar, for dusting
1) Preheat the oven to 160oC
2) Prepare a 23cm, loose-bottomed cake tin.
3) Cream together the butter and caster sugar. Then add sifted self-raising flour, ground almonds, eggs, vanilla extract and mix well.
4) Fold in the strawberries, then pour the mixture into the cake tin.
5) Bake for an 1hour – 1hour 15mins, it depends on your oven.
Once baked, carefully turn the cake onto a wire rack to cool. Serve the cake when it’s still warm and enjoy!
This is such a dreamy cake and is perfect for out of season berries that are not as sweet and juicy. So now you can enjoy strawberries and cream all year round!
How long will this Indian summer go on for? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, I’m loving every sunny moment. Yesterday was another beautiful, clear sky day, to be honest it felt like a summers day, a bonus day, a day that just couldn’t be ignored.
So we decided to head out and make the most of it. After some discussions, we ended up in Mordon Hall Park, which is a beautiful National Trust park near us in Surrey. It has beautiful white bridges, a natural play area, a flower garden, long walk ways and above all stunning scenery. Here are our pictures from this special, sunny day – our summer in October…
Bobbi Brown has to be one of my favourite make-up brands. The products are high quality and low fuss, the colours are always on trend and the packaging is stylish and elegant. For my wedding day I decided to do my own make-up and with the money I saved on a make-up artist, I went out and bought a full set of Bobbi Brown make-up. Since then I’ve been totally hooked on her products.
Here are my picks from the latest collection and beyond.
1. Smokey Nudes Eye Palette (Limited Edition) – This is a beautiful palette with eight ‘smoky’, very wearable shades. Promoted as the star of the new collection, it’s also top of my wish list.
2. Long-Wear Cream Shadow – These cream shadows have a super smooth formula that can be applied easily using your finger or a brush. They also last all day without creasing or smearing, making them perfect for a wedding or any other special event.
3. Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush – This is my favourite brush, it allows me to apply my eyeliner with ease, leaving a very natural blended result.
4. Sandstone Shimmer Brick – This brush-on shimmer powder not only highlights but also gives a soft natural looking glow to the skin. Perfect for a special night out or whenever you need a little extra ‘sparkle’.
5. Creamy Matte Lip Color – This lipstick is creamy and moisturising, it glides on easily and apparently will stay put for 8 hours! My colour of choice has to be ‘Warm Nude’.
6. Face Touch Up Stick – This handy touch up concealer, is one of my favourite Bobbi Brown products. The texture is creamy and the coverage is full, making it the perfect concealer for blemishes and spots or any open pores.
In case you’re wondering, I have not been paid for this review. I just thought I’d share my thoughts and little passions with you!
One of my main style icons has to be Ali MacGraw in Love Story. I first saw this film on Christmas Eve when I was thirteen. Not the most cheerful of films to be watching the night before Christmas but it happened to be on TV and my mum really wanted to watch it. To be honest I wasn’t too sure about the film to begin with but as soon as Jen and Oliver got together I was drawn in and by the time we got to the ‘snow scene’ I was hooked. I’ve watched the film several times since and have become obsessed with the style and in particular the timeless clothes. It goes to show that classic pieces are always on trend.
At this time of year I tend to be on the look out for perfect replica of MacGraw’s black wool coat (in the picture above) and start looking at roll neck jumpers and tartan scarfs. Here are my picks from this season’s ‘Love Story’ offerings…
1. Rain Coat – Marks & Spencer 2. Scarf – Reiss 3. Roll Neck Jumper – TopShop 4. Boots – River Island
1. Scarf – Yoox.com 2. Coat – Uniqlo 3. Jumper – Joules 4. Shoes – TopShop
1. Long Jumper – Reiss 2. Jeans – River Island 3. Hat – TopShop 4. Bag – Boticca.com