Chilli and rice is one of those comfort dishes that everyone in our house enjoys. Poppy especially loves it, whenever I ask her what I should make for dinner, I already know she’s going to say Chilli. I make mine thick and oozy with plenty of mince beef, passata and of course kidney beans, and serve it with basmati rice and natural yogurt. The yogurt transforms the Chilli into a mild, creamy dish perfect for younger taste buds. For me, this is comfort bowl food at its best! Here’s how I make it…
Splash of oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons paprika (any)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
500g minced beef
600g tomato passata
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 can of kidney beans
1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and cook on a medium heat until soft. Then stir in the garlic, chilli powder, paprika and ground cumin. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Turn the heat up and add the mince meat. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the passata and season to taste. Bring the whole dish to a boil before turning the heat down and placing a lid on the pan. Let the Chilli simmer gently for 10 minutes.
4. Drain the kidney beans and add them to the Chilli mix. Bring the heat up slightly, and cook for a further 10 minutes with the lid off. This will help the sauce thicken.
5. Serve with basmati rice and natural yogurt.
Tip: This dish can be made a day before and simply heated up the night after. This also gives the flavours more time to develop.