It’s not that I dislike Autumn, it’s just that I LOVE summer! So I find Autumn a little depressing, and suffer a slight low in my mood. Nothing compared to the January blues but you get what I mean. The dark nights and dark mornings, rainy days and school days are all reminders that summer is well and truly over.
It’s not all bad though, it means that Halloween and Christmas (yes I said the C world and no I’m not going to apologise for it) is around the corner and I need to enjoy all the great things about Autumn.
This is what’s making me happy this Autumn…
1. Fist of all is my fab new glasses by Nicole Fari from Specsavers. Autumn is definitely a time of year to rethink your makeup, clothes and style. And as I wear glasses every day, it seemed the perfect way to update my everyday look. I’m a massive fan of Specsavers, where else can you can pick up a pair of quality, prescription glasses for as little as £25? And they have so many amazing designer collaborations. Nicole Farhi is the latest collaboration launch and I chose these grey Nicole Farhi pair for a lighter, softer look. These cost £125 and were included in their buy one, get one free offer – which of course made me very happy!
2. Cosy nights on the sofa with a soft blanket and burning candles is always a big winner for me. This is probably the best thing about this time of the year, along with all the fantastic new TV programs. I love Neom, The White Company and This Works candles, they really fill the house with their uplifting and relaxing aromas. I’ve got a candle burning next to me here as I type away and it’s definitely helping to lift my mood.
3. I know, I’ve already mentioned the box but let’s face it Autumn really is one of the best time of year for watching TV! I’m currently hooked to Liar (ITV), Doctor Foster (BBC), Ray Donovan (Sky Atlantic, through NOW TV), Anne With An E (Netflix) and of course The Great British Bake-off (C4). I’m also so excited about the return of Stranger Things (Netflix) next month. If you haven’t seen season one yet, subscribe to Netflix and catch up! It’s truly amazing and a real nod to the eighties sci-fi genre made famous by Steven Spielberg.
4. When all else fails there’s really only one thing I turn to and that’s my stash of Green & Blacks in the fridge. I’ve always got a couple of bars hidden away on the top shelf (so that the little people can’t see them), so I know they’re there as and when I need a little chocolate pick-me-up. One of my favourite guilty pleasures is eating a bar of chocolate while flicking through a beautiful cookery book. That really is my idea of the perfect night in, when Dom’s out, the kids are asleep and I have some time to myself. Obviously, it’s back to blanket, TV and candles when Dom’s home. I’m so rock and roll!!
5. One last mention has to go to TeaPigs!! I don’t normally drink tea (or coffee for that matter) but I do love a nice hot cup of Rhubarb & Ginger tea by TeaPigs at night, while snuggling under a blanket. This is a new discovery for me, usually I stick to hot Ribeana but this year it’s all about Rhubarb & Ginger tea.
So that’s it, a few things that have kept me upbeat and happy this month. New specs, gorgeous candles, great tv, chocolate (always chocolate), beautiful cookbooks and tasty tea. I think that’s all the senses covered in that little list of happiness – and no mention of Autumn leaves or conkers.
Happy Autumn xx