For a long time now (in fact my whole adult life), I’ve wanted to be a morning person. One of those people who jumps out of bed and doesn’t need an alarm clock, feels fresh and somehow has the energy to exercise before breakfast. But after trying and trying to be ‘that person’, I have to admit defeat. I’m never going to be a bright eyed morning person. I love nothing more than having a lie-in, relaxing in my warm bed.
Having said that, like most people, I do have to get up and motivate myself every morning. The summer months are a little easier – waking up at 7am to streaming sunshine, beaming in through the window is inviting and makes getting up bearable. However, getting up at 7am at this time of year feels like getting up in the middle of the night – and to be honest completely unnatural! Over the years I’ve had to come up with a number of ways to combat my reluctance to get out of bed. Here are my top tips…
My Top Five Tips to Becoming a Better Morning Person
1. Clean up your bedroom – Waking up to a tidy room is far more inviting than opening your eyes to a complete mess.
2. Ten minutes at night will save you twenty minutes in the morning – Get organised before you go to bed at night. Believe me, this will make getting up in the morning far easier!
3. Tune in to your ‘tired time’ and go to bed – This is an obvious one but so important. If you want to get up feeling fresh, you need an early night. My tired time is around 10.30pm (I really need to start listening to my own advice on this one).
4. Have a morning routine – Know what you need to do and create a pattern that you keep to every morning. For example, my routine is; shower, dressed, make-up, get the kids up and dressed, breakfast, brush teeth and off to school. Every day, in that order – it works for us.
5. Get a Lumie Bodyclock – This has been my life saver this winter! It’s an alarm clock with a difference. It creates a gradual sunrise light in the room to wake you up slowly. The brightening light of the clock is a natural cue for you to wake, just as the sunshine does in the summer months. I can honestly say that this has made getting up far easier.
Gift Tip: This would make a great Christmas gift for anyone, who like me, finds it difficult to get up in the dark.
So there you have it, my top tips to becoming a better morning person. What are your morning tips?