Tomorrow my baby turns two, I’m going to write that again, tomorrow my baby turns two. To be honest it doesn’t matter how many times I write, say or think it, I can’t actually believe it. How can it be two years since this little star came into our lives?
This pictures was taken two years ago today. It was my due date and based on past experience (with my first daughter) I thought we still had a good few days to go. Unknown to me, 24 hours later she would be out and in my arms. Poppy literally came shooting into the world like super girl and has been amazing us every day since.
Five things Poppy has taught me over the past 2 years
1) Not all babies cry for hours on end – my eldest daughter (bless her) had colic and suffered for 4 hours a day for three months. It was a difficult time but we got through it. The first few months with Poppy was calm and much more enjoyable.
2) How it feels to have a ‘mini me’ – Poppy is my double with her big brown eyes, cheeky smile and stubborn manner. My eldest daughter is like her dad in every way. When she was a baby a few people assumed I was her nanny because we looked so different. This time there is no question! I can literally see myself in her eyes, which is an amazing feeling.
3) That sisters who have been nurtured in the same way can be completely different. My two have a different temperament, personality, attitude and skill set. I now know that you are born with your own personality, of course the environment will shape a few things but on the whole you are who you are.
4) How special the relationship between two sisters can be – I don’t have a sister but watching these two together makes me very envious of this special bond. They’ll always have each other and I hope will always be as close as they are now.
5) That the amazing, overwhelming love you have for your first child CAN be repeated and IS as strong the second time. Before I had Poppy, I couldn’t imagine I could love anyone as much as I loved Lili. And so, as prepared as I was to give birth, I was scared that I wouldn’t feel the same for my second child. It turns out that I had nothing to be worried about, the love was there straight away, in a big wave just like the first time!
Happy Birthday to my little Star!