This Strawberry Cake is based on a Lisa Faulkner recipe. It has a high fruit and (ground) almond content, so it’s safe to say that if you like Bakewell tarts, you’ll love this deliciously moist cake. Ideally, it should be serve warm but it’s delicious cold too, especially with a small amount of cream (naughty but nice).
As always, I like to have some help in the kitchen from my daughters and this is another one of their favourites.
175g unsalted butter,
150g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour, sifted
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
100g ground almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g strawberries, hulled and quartered
icing sugar, for dusting
1) Preheat the oven to 160oC
2) Prepare a 23cm, loose-bottomed cake tin.
3) Cream together the butter and caster sugar. Then add sifted self-raising flour, ground almonds, eggs, vanilla extract and mix well.
4) Fold in the strawberries, then pour the mixture into the cake tin.
5) Bake for an 1hour – 1hour 15mins, it depends on your oven.
Once baked, carefully turn the cake onto a wire rack to cool. Serve the cake when it’s still warm and enjoy!
This is such a dreamy cake and is perfect for out of season berries that are not as sweet and juicy. So now you can enjoy strawberries and cream all year round!