Iris is now eight months old and is enjoying the weaning process. She’s trying new flavours and textures everyday and loves watching the rest of us eating together at the table. She’s also starting to taste food from our plates and exploring some baby-led snacks. This got me thinking about making some family meals that can be whizzed up in the blender for her to enjoy too.
As it happens our favourite baby food brand Piccolo were having the same thought and sent us this recipe to try at home.
Sweet Tomato Ricotta Spaghetti with a pinch of Basil
This Italian inspired dish combines little pieces of spaghetti with a rich, sweet tomato and red pepper sauce, cooked in olive oil with a pinch of basil and made creamy with a little ricotta.
Glug of olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
½ a red pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
1 tbsp of tomato paste
fresh black pepper
4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
20g fresh parmesan grated
200g pasta (spiral or spaghetti)
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the onion and garlic and sauté these until they are transparent (around 8 minutes). Add the chopped red pepper and carrot and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato paste and a few twists of the black pepper mill and stir. Increase the heat slightly and let the sauce start to bubble away for a few minutes, then reduce the heat.
- Put on a large pot of salted water and bring to the boil, add pasta to water and cook until’al dente’ approximately 8- 10 minutes.
- Add the ricotta, parmesan and basil to the sauce and stir through.
- Either puree or leave as a chunky tomato sauce.
- Chop up the pasta to little pieces for babies.
Suitable from 6 months (ideal for freezing)
Makes around 8 baby portions or 2 adults and a baby
Iris loved this meal! She obviously shares our passion for pasta, which is a good thing because we do have pasta on a regular basis.
Thank you Piccolo for sending us this recipe and the ingredients to recreate it at home. The whole Piccolo range is now available at Asda and other retailers nationwide.